[www.inewsguyana.com] – A pensioner lost her home to a mid morning fire in Rose Hall Town, Berbice on Wednesday, November 04, 2015.
Firefighters, with assistance from GuySuCo are still at the scene, attempting to put out the fire, but are facing difficulties in accessing water.
iNews understands that the fire reportedly started around 10:00 hrs, while the elderly woman was cooking. Unconfirmed reports indicate that the fire may have started from the kitchen as 84 – year – old Joyce Beaton was inside.
iNews was informed that Beaton occupied the home with her son, Nigel Beaton; she had to be lifted out of the house during the fire. Persons who first arrived at the scene, rushed upstairs and attempted to douse the flame with a bucket of water, thinking it was a small fire.
However, one man said when he got there, all he could have done was lift the elderly woman out of the house as the fire had quickly engulfed the inside of the home and was spreading.
The fire service tried to source water from a canal nearby but due to poor drainage and irrigation maintenance by the Town Council, the drain is filled with garbage and vegetation.