The following statement was issued today by the Office of the Prime Minister:
OFFICIAL CLARIFICATION: With regard to publicly expressed concerns by some stakeholders about the status of the Ministry of Tourism following the recent changes to Cabinet portfolios the Department of Public Information clarifies the following:
1. The tourism portfolio remains in full effect and has been twinned with the public telecommunications portfolio.
2. The ministry will now be known as the Ministry of Public Telecommunications and Tourism.
3. The Honourable Catherine Hughes is the Minister of Public Telecommunications and Tourism.
4. The tourism sector remains a high level priority focus area for the Government of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana and Minister Hughes will continue her work in building and strengthening this sector and positioning Guyana as one of the world’s leading eco-tourism destinations.
5. The portfolio for Public Information remains with Prime Minister the Honourable Moses Nagamootoo.