It has been 11 months since Director of School of the Nations, Dr Brian O’Toole was shot and injured in front of his house but the police are yet to make an arrest in the case. He was shot on the night of January 27, 2019, and though the shooter was identified, he remains at large and is purported to have fled to the United States.
Speaking with INews recently, last week, O’Toole expressed his frustration in the slothfulness in which the Guyana Police Force is conducting its investigations.
He explained that after learning that the perpetrator would have fled to the US, he provided that details to the US Embassy in Guyana with the intention of getting some assistance but this has not been done.
Moreover, Dr O’Toole said he is disappointed with the lack of support he received from the United States Embassy, especially the Deputy Head of Mission and the Head of Security.
O’Toole, whose left hand was left paralysed as a result of the shooting, said to this day, the events of the night in question linger in his mind.
“Eleven months ago, that night, the house was brightly lit up. The boy, whose hands was shaking like a child was about five, six feet away and I can see it now, it is clearly as I saw him on that day,” he explained.
On the day in question, the 64-year-old man arrived at his Bel Air home and as he was about to open the door to his house, a male suspect approached him, pointed a gun and discharged three rounds in his direction. Two bullets caught him in both forearms. During that time, Dr O’Toole’s school had received several death threats.
Meanwhile, as he pursues the matter, O’Toole had met with the acting Crime Chief last week where he was assured that every piece of evidence and information pertaining to the shooting is being looked at.
The investigations continue.