A Better Hope, East Coast Demerara (ECD) family is in a state of disbelief and grief as they come to grips with the loss of one of their loved ones who took his life on Sunday afternoon after he ingested a large quantity of rat poison.
Reports are that 25-year-old Ray Cheddi drank 10 carbon tablets at his neighbour’s residence sometime around 14:00h yesterday. He was subsequently rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) but though the medical staff who attended to Cheddi valiantly battled to save the young man’s life, they were unsuccessful. He succumbed around 17:00h.
Cheddi’s mother, Sharmanie Shivanand, stated that her son who was an alcoholic had returned home from work on Saturday night in an intoxicated state causing her to reprimand him. In an upset manner, he then left her home.
According to Shivanand, sometime around 14:30h on that fateful day she received a telephone call from her younger son notifying her that Cheddi had ingested rat poison and had been hospitalized.
When she arrived at the GPHC to see her son and inquire about his condition she was told that he had already succumbed.
Meanwhile, police ranks are still investigating the matter.