By Tracey Khan – Drakes
[www.inewsguyana.com] – Police are continuing their investigations into the alleged threats made by Attorney General, Anil Nandlall to the Kaieteur News, thus the file is yet to be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).
When contacted today, Thursday November 06, Commander of the ‘A’ Division, Clifton Hicken confirmed that investigations are still ongoing.
“I am the Commander of this Division and I am telling you that the file was not sent to the DPP.
When asked if the Police were able to secure a statement from theAnil Nandlall, the Commander was reluctant to respond but promised that he would reveal such information later in the day.
Nandlall, who is also the country’s Legal Affairs Minister, is accused of threatening the lives of the newspaper’s Publisher, Glenn Lall and his staff.
The AG has since admitted to the recorded conversation and recently told the Government Information Agency that it was a private conversation that was not meant for the public’s ears. He is of the view that the conversation was “manipulated.”
In a statement issued earlier this week, Nandall denied that he has any information of planned attacks against the newspaper or its journalists.
Lall has since submitted three prepared statements as well as the audio recording and a transcript of that recording to the Police.
Meanwhile, the Senior Kaieteur News Journalist, Leonard Gildarie who recorded the conversation between himself and the Attorney General had expressed fear for his safety and that of his family.
In his statement, Gildarie said that his safety concerns arose following developments over the impartiality of “any probe, for a number of reasons.”
The Journalist said, “On the advice of my legal counsel, I am restrained from commenting on the details. However, I am not restrained from EXPRESSING DEEP FEARS FOR MY SAFETY AND THAT OF MY FAMILY.”
Hours after the recording went viral, the Guyana government came out in full defence of Nandlall and attacked the newspaper for “illegally recording” him.
Nandlall filed a $30M lawsuit against the Kaieteur News for libel contained in an article published on October 28 titled “Attorney General Reveals plan to hit Glenn Lall, Kaieteur News”.