[www.inewsguyana.com] – Attorney General and Minister of Legal Affairs, Anil Nandlall has sought to clear himself in the sex scandal involving Speaker of the National Assembly and Alliance for Change (AFC) Founder Member, Raphael Trotman.
The AFC today alleged that Nandlall was directly involved in the “fabrication of the allegations” against the House Speaker and that he directed Trotman’s accuser – Johnny Welshman – to seek the representation of Attorney, Jaya Manickchand, who is also closely aligned to the ruling People’s Progressive Party.
In a statement issued this evening, shortly after iNews published the story, the AG said, “It is with utter shock that I learnt that I am the latest casualty in a long list of persons implicated by the Alliance For Change ( AFC ).”
“I wish to absolutely and categorically deny any involvement in, or connection with, either directly or indirectly, the said sexual assault fiasco.”
However, he admitted that Welshman did visit the Chambers but did not meet with him; instead he met with State Counsel, Leslyn Noble in a personal capacity.
“On Tuesday 23rd September, 2014, i.e. long after the allegations of sexual misconduct against Mr. Trotman were made public, I spoke with Mr. Trotman via telephone. As a result of that conversation, I made certain inquiries of the professional staff at the Attorney – General’s Chambers. Those inquiries revealed the following:
- Approximately one week before, Mr. Johnny Welshman , a person, whom to date I have never seen or spoken with, met State Counsel , Ms. Leslyn Noble at the said Chambers ;
- I learnt that these two persons had known each other long before and enjoyed some degree of acquaintance;
- I obviously was not present at, or authorised the holding of that meeting, and indeed only became aware that these persons knew each other and met at the AG Chambers when I made those aforesaid inquiries;
- To date I am unaware of the reason for that engagement and the content of any discussion which may have taken place thereof;
- I did not solicit any information regarding the nature of the discussion which took place thereof because I formed the opinion that it was of a personal nature.”
Trotman has since denied the allegations, in which Welshman claimed that he raped him some ten years ago.