Veteran trade unionist and longstanding President of the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU), Mr. Komal Chand, was yesterday re-elected to the position of President of the union during the first meeting of the General Council following GAWU’s recent Delegates’ Congress.
Yesterday’s General Council meeting at GAWU’s headquarters in Kingston, Georgetown also saw the election of other members who will serve with Chand on the union’s Central Executive Committee.
The full committee elected yesterday are:-
- Komal Chand – President
- Harvey Tambron – Vice President
- Seepaul Narine – General Secretary
- Aslim Singh – Assistant General Secretary
Those elected as committee members are:
- Mitchell McBean – Skeldon Estate
- Mohamad AShamad – Rose Hall Estate
- Bhikram Singh – Blairmont Estate
- Jermaine Adams – BEV Processors Inc
- Adrian Singh – Blairmont Estate
- Michael Indardat – Albion Estate
- Sookram Persaud – Enmore Estate
- Gordon Thomas – Wales Estate
- Francis Alabi – Rose Hall estate
- Janice Fowler – Uitvlugt Estate
- Hernie Parks – Albion Estate
- Narda Mohamed – GAWU office
The General Council meeting yesterday also reflected on GAWU’s recent 21st Delegates’ Congress, the current state of Guyana’s sugar industry, and well as condemnation of GUYSUCO’s alleged ‘sinister plot’ to undermine and derail the Congress. Those in attendance of the General Council meeting also extended their full and unequivocal support and solidarity with the workers of Wales Sugar Estate. GAWU is the largest trade union in Guyana.