Washington (CNN) Republican elected officials and party elders lined up Saturday to denounce Donald Trump’s incendiary remarks about women that he made in 2005.
Some sitting members of the U.S. Congress pulled their support entirely, while others blasted the remarks but continued supporting the GOP standard-bearer. Some said they wanted Trump to step aside so that his running mate, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, can lead the ticket.
New Hampshire Sen. Kelly Ayotte
Arizona Sen. John McCain
Arizona Sen. and former Republican Party nominee John McCain, who is up for reelection, said Trump’s behavior “make it impossible to continue to offer even conditional support for his candidacy.”
Former US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice
Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski
In the House, Alabama Rep. Martha Roby said Saturday she will not vote for him. Roby is from a safe district and is often featuring in GOP family friendly initiatives.
Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley
Alabama’s Republican governor, Robert Bentley, said in a statement he cannot and will not vote for Donald Trump.”
Alabama Rep. Martha Roby
Utah Rep. Jason Chaffetz
Friday night, House Oversight Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz became the first sitting Republican congressman to pull his support for Trump in the wake of the 2005 video, which was surfaced by The Washington Post earlier in the day.