A mother and daughter are now dead after ingesting a poison-laced soda on the Corentyne, Berbice, reportedly over financial troubles.
Dead are Madojri Sawh, 55; and her 17-year-old daughter Diana Sawh, of Grant 1404 Crabwood Creek, Corentyne, Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne).
According to reports, at about 13:00h last Saturday, Madojri and Diana Sawh were alone at home when they mixed the lethal drink.
After consuming the poisonous substance, they remained locked in the house for three hours before Diana called out to a bother who lives next door, indicating that their mother had ingested poison.
He arrived and found his mother lying on the floor vomiting and frothing. Several neighbours rushed to the house after reports started circulating about the incident.
A neighbour related that Diana initially claimed that she had not consumed any of the toxic drink. However, when she accompanied her mother to the hospital, she started to vomit. After being questioned, she admitted that she also drank the poison-laced drink. She was then admitted as a patient. They subsequently both succumbed.
The Police have since urged anyone with feelings of depression and who may possibly be contemplating suicide, to please call the Guyana Inter-agency Suicide Helpline which operates 24 hours, and is organised by the Guyana Police Force, on telephone numbers 223-0001, 223-0009, 223-0818, 600-7896 and 623-4444.