Six months after being acquitted of the murder of political activist Courtney Crum-Ewing, Regan Rodrigues called “Grey Boy” will once again be facing the charge after the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) ordered that the case be re-opened.
In a press statement today, DPP Shalimar Ali-Hack outlined that she ordered the murder case against Rodrigues be reopened by Magistrate Judy Latchman.
The DPP Chambers noted that the sole purpose of re-opening the case is to take further evidence from police witnesses and to rule on the voluntariness of all oral statements of the accused, meaning whether Rodrigues‘ oral statements were made under duress or given on his own free will.
Moreover, the DPP also disclosed that Attorney-at-Law Nigel Hughes has been retained as Special Prosecutor to lead the case.
Crum-Ewing, an ex-soldier, was gunned down execution style on March 10, 2015, while urging residents of the Diamond Housing Scheme, on the East Bank of Demerara, to go out and cast their ballots in the May 11, 2015 General and Regional Elections in favour of the incumbent coalition government.
Rodgriues called “Grey Boy” was arrested and charged several months later after a gun that was found at his home matched the spent shells found at the crime scene where Crum-Ewing was murdered.
However, the murder charge against him was dismissed in September last year after Magistrate Latchman said the police failed to prove that Rodrigues was the one who pulled the trigger that night when Crum-Ewing was murdered.
She said that throughout the case the supposed evidence against the accused never implicated him in the murder and as such he was discharged.
However, Rodrigues is currently serving a three year sentence for escaping lawful custody, which was handed down in January 2016.